Monday, June 4, 2012

Almost summer

I have less than 2 weeks left to my school year. I'm feeling very motivated to turn this house upside down. So many thoughts and plans swirling in my head. I'm so thankful to my online and real life friends who inspire me with these ideas!
We were lucky enough to make it to the Coventry Regional Farmers' Market for opening day on Sunday. There we met author Kate Payne and I've been spending many spare moments reading her book The Hip Girl's Guide to Homemaking and her blog http://hipgirlshome.com/ . I'm currently in the mode of wanting to DO IT ALL NOW! I want to start a new batch of limoncello and kombucha and make fresh limeade and can something! Last weekend we went to the flea market and there I found a cute little wooden cabinet with hears cut out of the door. It's a nice size for storing jelly jars! We haven't quite worked out a permanent home for it. Right now it's resting on the floor next to the cabinets. It's not all that stable so something will have to be done to make it permanent. I kind of want it on the wall at eye level, but wall space in our kitchen is hard to come by. The one free wall has display shelves that would have to be altered to make room. It could be done. Not sure yet though. The only other option is to the right of the cookbook shelves. (Yes, shelves, plural, I don't have a problem, really, I don't!) That would involve moving the phone jack. Also doable. Basically I have to make a decision so we can go ahead and do something.
At Kate's table at the market she had coupons for canning jars and one for a small batch canning kit from Ball. We went right to Big Y afterwards and got it! It was only $9.99 and the coupon was for $3 off. It holds three jars and works in a regular stockpot. I already love it and I'm craving time to use it soon. Brandied cherries are high on my list of must can soon items! I also got more pint jars. Don't know what it is about that size. I just love them.
Here is the new berry patch in progress:
The pillow beckons. Tomorrow will be a busy day since the little guy starts fencing lessons. My farming friends all think that's awesome, and while it would be a handy skill, he will actually be taking up a foil or epee or whatever. So en guarde!

The girls say hello! And do you have any sunflower seeds or raisins?

No comments:

Post a Comment